Thursday 6 October 2011

Jubilee River at Eton October 2011


I sketched this quickly a couple of evenings ago, it was past sunset, light was fading. One of my short films includes part of this scene from another angle.

I have sketched in my impressionist style of sketching, in this case that means getting a feel of the main components in the scene and applying a very loose treatment of the features with no concern about detail.

It is almost as if, each element of the landscape is only taken as a guide or inspiration and then every component reinterpreted and transformed. This is probably my favourite style of 'location art'. I don't like the idea of precise detail and proportion in my artwork, as at that point the work gradually loses identity and artistic signature. Accurate realism in art reduces all works to the same or similar output regardless of the artist and I don't believe that to be appealing in terms of diversity, expression and style.

I used charcoal and pencil for this. I did intend to apply slightly more detail to this, but I think I will leave it as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment